Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I Wonder How I Wonder Why

Walked pass a cast and crew on location yesterday. It was an Australian drama in its second season. The drama features a bunch of 20 something people living in a building in Coogee. It is all good except for the fact that it does not look anything like what I saw in my own suburb. When the first season was launched it was criticized for being overly white and presenting another version of a white washed Australian beach suburb. An Asian Australian actor once tweeted about his disappointment with this new series and was immediately warned by some executives in the production company about his job opportunities with their company because of his comments.

Fast forward to yesterday. I did not know that they actually have a second season until I saw them filming. Nothing had changed. The cast is still all white and even the extras who are beach goers are all white. Girls slim and beach babish and guys are blonde hunks with six packs. At this point I couldn’t really care less about this production. But then when I looked around the crew I noticed that the crewmembers were actually very multi-cultural and diverse. Then I came to realize that while it is ok to be diverse behind the camera, it is not ok to be diverse in front of the camera. I suddenly felt very angry and disappointed. So I left.

The fact that the mainstream Australian media and entertainment industry still refuses to admit the fact that this is a multicultural society in year 2014 is disturbing. The fact that they segregate multiculturalism between on and off screen members of the production is even more disturbing. Multiculturalism on screen is still limited to ABC and SBS but not on other commercial channels (hm is it partly because of this the current government wants to reduce their funding?).  The fact that commercial television only acknowledges multiculturalism in reality shows but not in scripted shows is extremely frustrating, disrespectful and condescending.

Multiculturalism on screen is not a token you exchange for media headlines (as in Neighbours) or a lip service you can pay to quell criticism. Multiculturalism, in 2014 Australia, should be a matter of fact because this is the society we are living in. Past excuses of can’t find multicultural actors are long gone when you look at the theatre school graduates from the last 10 years especially NIDA. If you check out Pearly Productions Minority Box series you will know how many trained non-Anglo actors are waiting for the opportunity to show what they can do – and they are just some of them.

Some people keep saying non-Anglo actors need to write materials and produce these materials to get their voice heard. Yes that is happening but at the same time why is it so important to segregate non-Anglo materials from Anglo materials? When we are all living as normal people in this modern Australian society, why is it that every piece of material that involves non-Anglo actors has to be specifically written for them? I recently worked in a new hospital and there are a number of non-Anglo workers when you just listen to them, they are as Austraaaalian as you can imagine. A lot of them are professionals such as doctors, nurses, administrators and IT professionals. So why is it that as soon as their skin colour is different they have to tell their own stories but not as part of the bigger Australian stories? Are they not Australians when they, well, actually speak Austraaaaalian?

Maybe for us to actually get this message out, I need to reiterate the following:

·      I am Chinese Australian but I have never worked in a Chinese restaurant except when I am in front of the camera
·      I have a number of female Chinese Australian peers who had never whored themselves in real life except when they are being cast in productions
·      I have a number of Muslim friends who have no idea how to make bombs except when being asked to do so on screen
·      I have a number of Indian peers who do not work in news agencies or Indian take away – in fact they are IT professionals and medical professionals
·      I have a number of Middle Eastern peers who had never been involved in Underbelly kind of activities apart from going into the studio or on location

So next time when producers are casting, maybe they should look around and think this twice. Casting agents in my experience are a lot more open minded (and I love them) so who are the gatekeepers? I don’t think I need to articulate that.

It is all good to tell people “I have a lot of non-Anglo friends so I am not biased or racist”. But for me, actions are louder than words. If you do respect your non-Anglo friends and acknowledge them, reflect that in your work. It is not a challenge but a simple acceptance – nothing more nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment