Friday, November 23, 2012

Let the Music Play!


Been playing in a band for a local musical production lately. Originally seen as something to take my mind off things around me lately, it turned out to be a more enjoyable experience that I expected. The experience reminds me how much I missed music making, something that once played a huge part in my life.

I learned to play flute when I first started high school and since then it has become a part of me. I love music and have always been so (although I was so overdosed by my parents’ love for Beatles and Elvis that I became extremely rebellious against their music). Learning to play a musical instrument opened my eyes to how music came about and deepens my love for this art form. I spent most of my high school years playing music, practising music, and learning about music. Most of the afterschool and lunchtime activities circled around music.  Music always allows me to take my mind off things, at times unpleasant or stressful things, in my life. When I am playing music, it is all about the musical notes on the page and how to express them. It is no longer about me for the music comes first.

As I grew up and slowly moved towards adulthood, music seemed to have slowly faded away from my life. In the early years after high school, I still played music from time to time but certainly not as much. The university years were about setting myself up for a career, and music certainly was not one of the options for most Chinese kids in Hong Kong. I was even informed that if I wanted to take music as a minor, I would need to find my own money to do that. So music study was completely off the table. Once I started working, as with most other people, music became something I appreciate but no longer get involved. This is a bit ironic in a way that because my first ever pay cheque was obtained from playing music for a series of instant noodle commercials. At that time, my only channel to stay in touch with music was through the church choir where I sang as one of the few first tenors. But I never got as much kick out of it as I did in high school.

Participating in the band of this musical reminds me how much I missed this part of my life. In the band there are two young members who are currently studying music at the university. They told me how much they enjoyed the collaboration process with like-minded people day in day out.  Also there is a music teacher whose day job is to teach music, something she said she dearly loves. I never had a chance to study music in a structured way. I love it, so I play it and learn things I need to know along the way. Surely I studied music theory so I understood the complexity of this art form but I never had a chance to study music as a discipline. I did have an offer from a university to study music as a minor but as pointed out earlier, it was out of question from my parents’ point of view.

Music for me is something that you can appreciate as much as you want, but it is nothing compared to actually being part of it. I think this is similar to the theatre and me – I love going to the theatre but I prefer to be part of it.  There is nothing better than to feel the music from a first person perspective. The labour you put in to achieve the technical requirements is nothing but satisfying. The ability to hit a certain impossible note, or to achieve proficiency in a serious of ridiculous notes that could break your fingers because of the unrealistic fingering demand for the instrument are some of the reasons why making music is so addictive. I must admit that I was quite rusty when I first picked up my flute again and started practising for this musical (at times I was in panic because I felt like I had lost touch with the instrument). However, as the weeks went by, things started to come back and like a bush fire it just keeps on burning and burning. Certainly comparing to the professionals in the group, there is still a long way for me to go, but at least I know I would not be sinking the ship for them (hopefully). Also the comradeship in the group provided some much needed confidence for me understand that I do belong to this band.

I do not know how long this feeling would last when the show finishes in mid December, but for the time being, I want to enjoy this lost world of mine as much as possible and let the music continue to play on.


The Venetian Twins - Playing now at the New Theatre, Sydney, till 15 December
I am in the weekend band

3 comments:

  1. A review mentioned us :)

    "The musicians knew how to play with the material and banter and even from their hiding spot, I felt like they were a character in ‘The Venetian Twins’. They found the way to respect the cheesy musical score and add to the comedy by allowing the characters to use the music to hit comic moments"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another review mentioned us too :D

    "The band does an impressive job of swapping between various musical styles – cabaret, operetta, Aussie folk song – and their moments of interaction with the cast are a highlight."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I didn't know you're a musician, too. You should persevere in that direction if that's what you like.

    ReplyDelete