Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Circle of Life


Was sitting at a shopping mall having KFC. As I was munching through the crunches of the heavily flavoured chicken with oil dripping from my fingers, I couldn’t help but notice that it was Saturday afternoon, and everyone was at the mall. There were families of several generations coming out for a good day out (or in, depends on whether you think going to the mall is going “out”).  Young parents were caring for their babies and toddlers in their prams, and some elderly parents were being taken care of and being wheeled around in their wheelchairs. They seemed to be happy just being together.

As I watched and observed as usual, I started to feel how strange our lives come around in a circle. We were being pushed around in prams at the beginning of our lives and then after decades of living, could end up being pushed around in wheelchairs again. Life is pretty cruel I reckon. When you are back to the stage of being wheeled around again, it is not because you can look forward to walk and move around again but you were unable to do so anymore.

I am never a fan of growing old. I even hate the word old unless it is about wine. But then I prefer to use the word vintage. I certainly understand that growing old is a process nobody can avoid, but why does the process of growing old need to be so painful and depressing in some cases? Watching yourself not being able to perform basic tasks that used to be just something so natural is hard to accept. I have observed my granny’s process of growing old. God bless her cos she is very good for her age, but I can still remember the frustration she had when she found out that certain easy tasks are no longer easy. As family members we helped out but her frustration of losing that autonomy to perform certain tasks really edged inside me. Now seeing my parents growing old and hearing some issues they have, I feel like my sense of security for people around me is being continuously eroded by the waves of time. This frustrates me.

I certainly try to keep myself on the watch, as I cannot escape growing old either. Some friends think that I am over-reacting to the whole growing old thing, but I know what family medical history we have, I read about potential issues, I just want to help myself to minimise the impact of this growing old thing. I have no idea what I would become when I grow old but I always advocate to have myself admitted into a home when the time comes. Some people think that I am too pessimistic about this but I just think I am being pragmatic so I feel less sad when that day arrives.

I always maintain life is cruel and want to get the most out of it instead of just living what most people think is a normal life.  So when the day arrives, I can look back and understand that I did live a life I want (mostly for there will be things that I might not be able to achieve) and reduce the sad factor as much as possible.

I am not afraid of death and in fact death is a relief for me but I just don’t like the process of getting there. My belief does not believe in ending things your way but when life is no longer a life should we be lingering on? That is a question I always have in my head.

This post might sound very grim and depressing, but that is not my purpose. I just want to record my thoughts while they struck me so I know at a certain point of my life, this is me and my mentality. I don’t know whether this would change or not, but at this moment, at this hour, this is part of me in this circle of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment