Monday, May 18, 2015

Age Defying Acts

The recent debate on Rebel Wilson’s age triggered another debate on whether people should be lying about their age or should even hide their age. Mia Freedman of Mamamia Women’s Network defended her stance saying it is not right for Rebel Wilson to lie about her age and attack other celebrities because of their age. She also claimed that the murmurs about Rebel Wilson’s age and real name have been around for a very long time. She resisted to publish it previously but now decided to run the story because of Rebel’s stance against other women of her age in the industry.

I personally don’t know what kind of grudge Mamamia has with Rebel Wilson but the fact is that why is it anyone’s concern? If Rebel Wilson did lie to get her jobs then it is her issue. Not that I approve lying but then if producers and directors are ok with that what is it to do with Mamamia to be the White Valkyrie to tear her down? Rebel after all is just an actor she is not an ancient dragon tormenting villagers in a remote town. If Rebel Wilson did lie about her age she is only responsible to people who hired her because of that. Is Mamamia going to offer her a job and found out she faked her CV? I really don’t understand why it is Mamamia’s business to deal with that. If Rose Byrne or Kristen Wig were unhappy about Rebel Wilson’s comment on the Ghostbusters casting, I think they are more than capable to hit back. If they don’t, unless they enlisted Mamamia’s service to knock Rebel Wilson down, then I don’t see a point for Mamamia to run a story as if they are standing up for them.

Age is a sensitive thing for some people and if some people do not want to talk about their age why is it anybody’s business to probe? Cate Blanchett doesn’t mind her age to be published because she believes in aging gracefully and bringing her life experience to all the marvellous characters she created (can’t wait to see Carol) but if Rebel Wilson does not want to talk about her age, unless the employers want to know, why did it become part of public interest anyway? As a fellow actor, I don’t like to talk about my age because I know very well that this will automatically put me into certain boxes and restrict what I can do. This is an industry that is not always about your talents and abilities but about impressions and preconceptions. I don’t lie about it when my agent submits me for casting or I pick up a job because it is who I am. I am just not interested in talking about it with anyone else who has no bearings in my life whatsoever. All my close friends and all the people who grew up with me know my age but it is not their business to go around and pretend to be “insiders” or “close friends” telling irrelevant publications about my age. Seriously if they are really “close friends” they would not be doing that, so there goes the credibility.

As for Rebel Wilson it is up to her how she wants to project her age. Unless her employers have issues about her lying about her age it is seriously nobody else business. If she made comments attacking other people’s age it is up to those people to hit back if they feel they need to. If they don’t feel there is a need to continue the conversation, then it is nobody else’s business to wage war on her for them. Sometimes I found it extremely ironic when publications defend themselves as being responsible journalism or acting as social conscience when they are actually running cheap stories without strong references to sell a few copies. But then if running cheap stories is their only way to survival then so be it. There will always be people who feed on those cheap stories to make themselves feel good. Just don’t say it is for social responsibility or justice. Otherwise Ultron will come to them and say “If I have a mouth I will throw up”.

Actors should be judged on their work not on their age. Their personal conducts will become part of their CV in the industry so it is nobody else’s business unless they are endangering the society. I personally do not see how not telling your age to the irrelevant public is an endangering act. Maybe these magazines can claim they want women to be proud of themselves and not being afraid of being who they are. But then these are the same publications week on week publishing those “OMG look at how she aged” or “OMG look at that overweight or anorexic body!” pictures and stories. So don’t pretend you are the Valkyrie when you are something else. That is worse than lying about your age.

And one last point in her defence I did not see Mia Freedman saying anything like “I am years old and I am not lying about it so Rebel Wilson should not be either.” So there you go set an example before you go running around with your wooden sword bashing bystanders pretending you representing justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment