Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Jurassic Life of Democracy

With the Australian Federal Election coming in quick in a few weeks, the two major parties are on all out assault on each other. I have long decided that I will not vote for either the Labor or the Liberals, as I did not like them a bit. However I would still exercise the power democracy bestowed on me to choose who I want to represent me.

The funny thing with this election, and maybe other countries’ elections is that a lot of time they have become such a two-horse race that you really don’t know whether you have a choice at all. The situation in Australia is similar. It is always about the Labor and the Liberals and it feels that this is all we could choose. I actively try to seek out other possibilities (sorry Greens, I do not share your vision either) so that I could fully exercise my power in this democratic system. However, the upcoming election in Australia had got me thinking – has democracy become such an old establishment that it is now fossilised and become irrelevant?

There are lots of different governing systems. Democracy provides the right for us to choose whom to represent us. However, as it was proven many times in history, mankind is not great in dealing with freedom (if you believe in the Bible, that stems from the good old Adam and Eve). Don’t get me wrong – I am all for freedom and I think freedom is essential for mankind to progress. However, mankind is also good in exploiting the freedom we have and thus making freedom its own personal tool to achieve its own personal goal.

For me democracy facilitates making good visions to come true. Those might not be visions shared by everyone but through the democratic process, the majority’s wish is granted and hopefully being respected. This is the core ideology of democracy. However, as the society grows and evolves, I slowly felt that democracy has become a toy reserved to the privileged few in the society. These privileged few possess the resource to “promote” their own agendas as visions and through the modern publicity machine, these personal agendas were communicated to the mass camouflaging as must have items on the voters’ shopping lists. Whether these personal agendas are for the benefit of the society no longer matters anymore. As a result, democracy, in my view, slowly became more and more like a creature that once roams the world but now only exists in our textbooks. It once had great impacts but now it is a museum exhibit that we check out periodically and teach our kids because they need to know about it.

Democracy might have helped to tear down individual dictatorship and tyranny, however, it has also given birth to a new breed known as collective dictatorship and tyranny. These collective dictators camouflage themselves as people’s representatives but in fact behind these thin veils of democracy is a collective desire to consume the society for their own benefits. As I watched and read media coverage about our election, I sometimes think, “seriously how could someone who despises the public school system and sent his daughters to private school understand the struggle public schools have?” Also, “how could people who got all aspects of their daily lives taken care of understand the pain of taking buses to work everyday; or maybe not having someone to be able to look after their kids when both parents are working full time just to meet ends’ needs?” These people claimed to be the representatives of Australians but how representational are they when they never experienced what average Australians are experiencing? Would visits to school change how they put together their education policies? If an education policy or budget is scheduled way beyond their current election term, could it still be considered as a commitment or it is just something to hook voters in like “ice”?

I have nothing against democracy and in fact I think democracy is something essential to keep the society evolving. What I dislike, especially in the current state of Australian politics, is that everyone seems to be thinking that they have no choices but in fact they do have choices to a certain extent. The current system seems to be facilitating the two major parties to stay in power in an oligopoly manner. However, if more people demonstrate their desire to change by voting for candidates other than these two major parties, then maybe we could slowly introduce variety and thus revive true democracy in our society.  


God bless Australia.


No comments:

Post a Comment